Thursday, July 10, 2008

"Trading Up" by Candace Bushnell

Same lady again as Sex and the City, and I suppose I didn't publish a post about Lipstick Jungle, but I have also read that one.

I like all of these stories about upbeat Manhattanites, but I'll admit I was pretty anxious reading this one - as in it was so long and I just wanted to put it down and I was getting pretty annoyed with the main character.

This one was about Janey Wilcox, a Victoria's Secret fashion model who settles in marrying someone, for reasons unknown to the reader - she admits she doesn't particularly love him and he's not the richest of the choices she has had. I had a really hard time getting into this character, mostly because she was a brat. I mean she was literally dirt - who was basically just concerned about her image as a status-climber, and would do anything to get there.

I wouldn't really say the book was bad, I would just say that it's hard to really understand what the point to it is - and maybe there isn't one. Don't read it if you don't have forever, it's a long one.

No comments: