Friday, June 13, 2008

Madame Bovary

I definitely had to read this book in high school, but I find that any book is automatically more enjoyable when you aren't being forced to read it.
Madame Bovary is the story of Emma, a beautiful countrygirl. Set in France in the 1800s, Emma marries a dull doctor named Charles, and finds herself longing for more romance and the luxuries described in her imaginative novels.
She soon finds a lover to give her everything she desired, but he eventually leaves her. She then moves onto another lover. I can't tell you much more, I would never give away the ending.
One of my favorite things about Madame Bovary is that is seems to be a timeless piece. Read it and you'll find many of the themes reminiscent of current times - in a world where worldly goods are of extreme importance. The focus on luxury out of one's reach seems to ring particularly true with the state of the US - as the average American has how many dollars in debt now?
I definitely recommend this one. You'll be shocked at the eeriness of the timeless traits.

No comments: